Friday, November 16, 2012

A Sample Letter

I often emphasize the importance of calling, emailing, and sending letters to your local and state representatives. I understand that writing to these public figures can be a bit intimidating. I'm empathetic to those who feel they will just be ignored. In reality, sometimes they will scoff and sometimes we will be disregarded. However, these people want to be reelected. They feel like they are doing a service to the people of their district and the people of the country. Maybe they just want to keep their jobs. But no one wants to lose an election and when we contact our public officials we act as a reminder to them that they are being held accountable for their actions and that we have views and concerns that need to be represented. Your messages matter.

To get you started, I've written a sample letter to guide you. By no means should you change your own opinions to fit what I've written. This is simply an example of a letter I wrote to a Governor last week. I encourage you to voice your individual concerns in your letter or email.

Governor _________,

To preface my message, I would like to first thank you for your service and dedication to the people of your state. I am confident that you have a strong devotion to the people of this state and I know you are doing your best to represent them as best you can. I have several concerns that I wish to raise about our election system and about the partisan nature of our government.

I feel that the people of this state are being slighted by your affiliation with a party. I don't believe you ever intended for this to happen but it is an unfortunate side effect of a partisan system. Your job as Governor is to protect, defend, and support the people of your state. If you endorse a party, and the party happens to have views that do not correspond with your constituents, which alliance will you uphold? Although this may happen rarely, I believe that ever having to put party alliance in front of your electorate is negligent and completely avoidable.

For the reason listed above, I would like to support you as an Independent representative rather than as a party member. I think you will better be able to represent your constituency and gain voter support in the process. I would be happy to further discuss these ideas with you in further detail at your convenience. My contact information is:

Name
City, State
Phone
Email

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,

Name

No comments:

Post a Comment